Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 5: Pondering the Spiritual Fruits of the Sorrowful Mysteries

I am back to the Sorrowful Mysteries.  Today, I am more aware of the Spiritual Fruits of each decade of this rosary:

Agony in the Garden  
Spiritual Fruit:  God's Will Be Done

How can I more gracefully follow God's Will for me, even during times of strife,  great loss or loneliness? He has a Plan for me, and only He knows the whole picture of my life and my purpose.

Divine Creator, please guide me through Your Will, that I may travel the Path you set before me in service to You.

Scourging at the Pillar  
Spiritual Fruit: Mortification of the Senses

mor·ti·fi·ca·tion [ màwrtəfi káysh'n ] : 

self-imposed hardship: the use of self-imposed discipline, hardship, abstinence from pleasure, and especially self-inflicted pain in an attempt to control or put an end to desires and passions, especially for religious purposes  (Encarta World English Dictionary)

Jesus endured unspeakable torture to fulfill the Word. Unspeakable. I cannot comprehend, none of us can, how this must have physically felt to this man/God who suffered for our redemption.

Divine Creator, may I use my God-given senses in fullest service to You with discipline.

Crowning of Thorns
Spiritual Fruit: Reign of Christ in Your Heart

Christ's crown of thorns brought mockery among those who did not understand. We believers are in awe of His sacrifice for us. Christ is our King!

Father, may I hold You close to my heart. May I be reminded at all times of Your sacrifice for my redemption.


Carrying of the Cross
 Spiritual Fruit: Patient Bearing of Trials

Christ gracefully handled His torture. Our trials pale in comparison to what He went through for us.

Heavenly Father, may I bear the trials in my life with grace and certainty that You are guiding my life. May I be sure in my heart of Your support, knowing that Your Will be Done.

The Crucifixion   
Spiritual Fruit: Grace of Final Perseverance

I see many people as they reach their final transition from life to the beyond. Some handle it with grace, and others fight it bitterly. Christ was a human nailed to a cross. Spit upon. Ridiculed. How terrifying and overwhelming it must have been to fulfill His role as a sacrificial lamb.

Divine Maker of the Universe, please bestow grace upon us who persevere through the trials of our human lives, that we may handle these trials with dignity and respect for ourselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment